Lepidoptera has been 2 weeks in the making as of today. The goal for finishing is October 10, Thanksgiving Day in Canada. It may be a bit agressive. So far, the top is finished, the back has been pieced, and the applique for baby's name has been prepped for attachment. It has not been without drama.
There were some painful moments close to the end of flimsy construction. The method used to attach the background pieces with the antenna bits is more difficult than anticipated. It's sewn on as a square across the diagonal with the excess trimmed off upon completion, Which sounds nice. And easy too. But I found it difficult to achieve symmetry with that method and devised my own way forward in the end. The resulting flimsy is an inch smaller because of it. Yeah, I had to make the alteration twice, because sometimes thinking logically just doesn't happen and choosing the wrong side to cut is the way forward. Ouch.
Too much time was spent fussing over the baby's name. I've used block-like letters before on the back of a quilt, but wanted something with a little more finesse this time. Since the back is more elegant than usual, fancier text was in order. Several different fonts were auditioned along with a few methods of application to scrap fabric before a final decision was made: hand-turned applique will be machine stitched in place. The edges of the text was folded over and glued down with starch.
This quilt should have never made it onto the already overloaded project list, but it did. It was requested by a perfect stranger - someone that saw another quilt that I'd made for a baby. It was accepted mainly because the design was at the top of my want-to-make-it list. Hopefully the name will get appliqued to the back this evening. Damn. I don't have a glue stick. It looks like there will be plenty of opportunities for pin pricks in basting those letters down.