Monday, November 14, 2016

Butterfly Wings

Finding a great gift or making something special for a child is one of my favourite entertainments. And what could be more fun than a set of wings? 
Butterfly Wings Pattern from TheWifemadeEmporium.
Fabric: Rosa Navy with scraps of Queen Anne in Pale Blue from Les Fleurs by Rifle Paper Co., for Cotton and Steel

No metal parts, only interfacing, batting and fabric. Lovely and fun.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

A Little Bit of Progress

There has been a small amount of progress with Lepidoptera. It has finally been basted, but sits there, next to the sewing machine while I stare at it. It isn’t an effective strategy for moving the project towards finishing. 

Other than some minor stitching-in-the-ditch, it is about all of the action I feel able to take right now with it. The quilting of Fancy Foxes II has made some progress. Almost 3 of 4 of the foxes are completely quilted, but the quilting continues to be a struggle.  It’s primarily why staring at Lepidoptera instead of quilting it has become an Olympic event. Last night every stitch put into the foxes was ripped. Every last one. The longer this continues, the more confidence this mind game consumes. Maybe I’ll just have to go with it, keep the foxes moving forward until completion despite the lack of confidence in the result. Maybe it will give me some confidence to quilt Lepidoptera.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Very Little Forward Motion

Quilting efforts haven't been going very well these days. Perhaps it’s the plethora of projects, or a growing sense of ennui that would put any insomniac to sleep. Lepidoptera remains unbasted, and the self-imposed deadline for getting it to the finish line has passed. Getting things to line up between the front and back has been a struggle. It’s not clear why Lepidoptera and I are fighting, but we are clearly at odds with each other. Pushing through the frustration isn’t going to make anything better, so it’s been put down until help arrives to moderate our disagreement. That should take care of any remaining nastiness.

Since Lepidoptera and I aren’t getting along, Fancy Fox II is back under the needle. I wouldn't say that we’re the best of friends either. So the problem is me. The quilting hasn’t been easy, and a lot of stitches have been laid in only to be ripped right back out. Despite that, progress has been made and its at about the half way mark. The space around the shaky dragonfly has been quilted, but it might not stay that way. 
Pebbling may have been the wrong choice. It stands out too much and a motif that’s less dense would probably be a better choice. There are still other bits to quilt while deciding. Odds are it's going to stay the way it is since picking is an enormous pain.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Lepidoptera Quilt : Progress Report

Lepidoptera has been 2 weeks in the making as of today. The goal for finishing is October 10, Thanksgiving Day in Canada. It may be a bit agressive. So far, the top is finished, the back has been pieced, and the applique for baby's name has been prepped for attachment. It has not been without drama.

There were some painful moments close to the end of flimsy construction. The method used to attach the background pieces with the antenna bits is more difficult than anticipated. It's sewn on as a square across the diagonal with the excess trimmed off upon completion, Which sounds nice. And easy too. But I found it difficult to achieve symmetry with that method and devised my own way forward in the end. The resulting flimsy is an inch smaller because of it. Yeah, I had to make the alteration twice, because sometimes thinking logically just doesn't happen and choosing the wrong side to cut is the way forward. Ouch.

Too much time was spent fussing over the baby's name. I've used block-like letters before on the back of a quilt, but wanted something with a little more finesse this time. Since the back is more elegant than usual, fancier text was in order. Several different fonts were auditioned along with a few methods of application to scrap fabric before a final decision was made: hand-turned applique will be machine stitched in place. The edges of the text was folded over and glued down with starch.

This quilt should have never made it onto the already overloaded project list, but it did. It was requested by a perfect stranger -  someone that saw another quilt that I'd made for a baby. It was accepted mainly because the design was at the top of my want-to-make-it list. Hopefully the name will get appliqued to the back this evening. Damn. I don't have a glue stick. It looks like there will be plenty of opportunities for pin pricks in basting those letters down.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Too Many Projects

  • Lepidoptera baby quilt for Jo-Anne
    • Under the needle for quilting
  • Fancy Fox lap quilt for Marion
    • background quilted
    • decision made for quilting fox faces
    • binding fabric purchased
  • Josephine Dress for Bridget 
  • Elmira for me – Nov 8
    • fabric purchased. Could be changed to Wren dress
  • Dress or skirt for me - Nov 8
    • fabric purchased
  • Watson Bra - Nov
    • half sewn
  • Reflections for Jan - Dec
    • half of the blocks sewn, rest are cut out
  • Tessellation for Emma - Dec
    • large triangles cut
  • Metro Twist for Cindy
    • blocks sewn, top requires assembly
  • Gemma Skirt and Blouse with suspenders
    • skirt and blouse cut out,
    • notions purchased for suspenders
  • Aeroplane Bag
    • fabric washed, 
    • interfacing purchased
    • need zippers and other notions
  • Tula Pink Butterfly quilt
    • Pick out quilting - stitch tension is really bad